Monday, February 4, 2013

Adaptation: Possible Other Fairytales

As I've been researching for fairytales in order to adapt on.  I have found a few interesting fairytales:


-Snow White and Rose Red by the Grimm Brothers

-Rumbelstinskin by the Grimm Brothers

-The Frog Prince by the Grimm Brothers

-The Stones Soup a folk tale

-Mr Vinegar by Joseph Jacobs

-The Four Children who went around the world by Edward Lear

-The Inchape Rock by James Baldwin

-The Three Sprinters by Brothers Grimm

-Beautiful as the Day by E.Nesvit

-The Tree Dwarfs from Andrew's Lang Red Fairy Book

Though I found some interesting points in terms of character design and digital sets in all of them. I've still not decided on which I will adapt.  From my last tutorial with Alan he suggested me to find a charmy story on which I could adapt and target a young audience with a simple and effective style. Due to some obligations I had to travel back home and lost one tutorial and I've been a little bit behind.

Although the story on which I'm thinking to adapt on is "The elves and the shoemaker". A not reasonably charming story but my aim if I will get the green light to elaborate on is to create and transform the characters in a style which will reflect a childrens audience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Anastos,

    Some further references re. simplification of forms:

    Eric Carle
    Charley Harper

    also - go buy some plasticine and use your fingers to create forms for characters etc...

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Lu4c4-tx6y8/TLNB6qKxI6I/AAAAAAAAABY/Pz8tmfu0JDE/s1600/gumby-1.jpg

    Put simply, change up your method - use modelling, collage and 'cut and paste' to channel your design ideas - then photograph, then bring those images back into photoshop etc. to tweak and refine and polish. I want you to have some fun and see 'character design' in its broadest, most creative sense.

    ReplyDelete