Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Adaptation: Ideas / Research

For this project I have been thinking to choose something to work with which will improve some of my skills and simultaneously raise my interest. With this project I want to improve my drawing / design skills and also broaden my Maya skills in terms of character creation (modelling, skinning, rigging). The field of character creation for an animation interests me the most as long as digital sets for the environment of an animation.

I have been thinking of different things to adapt, but the most profound are myths and stories from different cultures and historical times.

Mythology

Sirens from Odyssey

Greek Mythology: is so rich in content and contains many interesting stories with fascinating creatures that I could adapt in this unit. Some of the creatures are being derived from Odyssey, and in general from Greek mythology containing Gods, heroes, creatures and further on. I'm familiar with some myths/stories and some literature mechanisms of the greek myths which I have been taught back in school when I was younger.

"Spirit of well" from Chinese mythology.

Chinese Mythology: contains myths about the creation of China and the legends of China. Some legends seem very interesting by containing foxes, spirits and fantasy elements. The whole culture as long with specific myths concerning legends and spirits seem very interesting and there are fascinating stories which I could adapt in this unit.



"Namazu" the fish creature from mythology.

Japanese Mythology: contains stories about the origin of the imperial family which created the godhood and the imperial line. It's a system of beliefs that embraces Shinto and Budhist traditions as well as agriculture folkore. The japanese mythology focuses on the creation of  deities. There are many myths containing creatures such as gods, ghosts demons and so on which again can give me a story/myth character which I can adapt in this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment